Thursday 10 May 2012

Ketones.

This morning was horrid, I woke up with a blood sugar at 23.3 and Ketones of the high variety.

This was due to my pump shutting down and failing to give me insulin, I don't know for how long this was happening as well but by the hight of my sugars it was quite a while.

The experience was not one that I wish to go though again any time soon, I felt sick all the time and I was sick at one point but because I had nothing to eat all I brought up was water and bile, which made my stomach pull and hurt. My mum was worried because I was upset and all I wanted to do was sleep. Which is very dangerous as I could have gone DKA which is very life threatening.

To resolve this situation I change the battery in my pump for a new one and had to give myself a lot of insulin, this was one of those occasions where I was saying to my mum "I wish I was normal" but with who I am this is normal for me and I can't change that.

The thing that saved my life today was my alarm clock because if I hadn't of hear "good morning it's the breakfast show on BBC Radio 1" I would not have woken up.

My sugars are coming down really nicely and are at 15 at this point in time. I know that this is still really high but I do not want to plummet where I go low.

Here are some things to remember if you go through this your self:
- always drink lots of water, to flush the Ketones out.
- keep very calm and do not panic.
- check your site to make sure you insulin has gone in.
- if you have injections make sure that the insulin is in date and the needle is a new one.
- before you start giving yourself insulin make sure you wash your hands and re test as you never know what could be on them.

If you have any enquiries email me on:
- diabeticnick@gmail.com
- Twitter: nick_taylor1
- or find me on Facebook

Remember you can always get me no matter the time, day or night.

No comments:

Post a Comment